A lip balm is a must have for me, I get dried lips really easily and therefore always have one in my purse. Last week I left my current go-to lip balm in another purse (the Clarins Natural Lip Perfector, which is amazingness), leaving my lips chapstick-less for 2 days.
Finally I decided to slip into the drugstore over lunch to pick up a quick fix I've been wanting to try for a long time - the Maybelline Baby Lips. I've sniffed these in stores before and fell in love with the fruity scent. I was glad to find that there isn't much of a markup here in Asia - it was priced at HKD$25, which is around USD$3.
I chose the Berry scented Baby Lips, with the pink and blue packaging. I think this one is the cutest color combo available, and smells the yummiest too. I have not tried the other tinted/sparkly baby lips, so this review is only for the clear ones. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Baby Lips line sold in Asia is all clear, no sparkles no tints.)
- Smells amazing. I really can't get over how yummy it smells. It kind of smells like a kid's chapstick - fruity and candylicious. A bit like that lovely whiff of sugary sweetness you get from opening a pack of gummy bears.
- Natural finish. If you like the natural lip look, this is the chapstick for you. It gives you a very natural looking plump lip without looking like you have lipgloss on.
- Cute packaging. Adorable packaging that makes me smile whenever I whip it out!
[Side Note: I noticed that the packaging is a bit different in Asia and North America.
The Asian packaging has an old school chapstick packaging, while the North America packaging features colored tubes with font on a clear snap-on top. I wish the Asia ones looked cuter like the American design!]
[Left: US packaging, Right: Asia packaging]
- Not long lasting. This really doesn't stay on long at all... I find myself constantly having to reapply. Think the duration of a chitchat or half a cup of tea.
- Only mildly moisturizing. This is more of a sheer glossy chapstick, and doesn't go on thick enough to penetrate and deeply moisturize your lips. I think this would work well under lipsticks, but if you're looking an actual lip moisturizer, skip this.
This one is a let down for me. I still love how cute it looks sitting on my desk, but it's simply not as moisturizing as I like my chapsticks to be. Sometimes I feel like it just sits on my lips like a film of moisture that does not sink in. I'd probably want to give the tinted ones a try next time I am back in the US, but for now I will not be repurchasing the clear ones available here in Asia.
What are your newest lip balm finds?